Nelson Maths: Australian Curriculum supports the Australian Curriculum content strands: Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics and Probability F-6, and integrates the proficiency strands of Understanding, Fluency, Problem Solving and Reasoning throughout the activities and tasks in the program.
Nelson Maths: Australian Curriculum is written to the APPROVED version of the Australian Curriculum.
- enables teachers to implement focused teaching
- assists students by scaffolding their learning
- improves students' mathematical understandings and thinking
- provides open-ended and stimulating tasks, allowing students to work at their appropriate developmental level
- caters for various and individual learning styles
- develops students' mental computation skills
- provides teachers with choices so they can readily meet the needs of individual students and/or group of students
- allows for effective grouping of students
- integrates Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- provides ongoing assessment and opportunities for a variety of assessment types.
Order Years F, 1 and 4 now! Pre-order remaining levels for delivery when available.
The Student Books feature engaging tasks that students can complete independently. Each Student Book includes one assessment page per unit and the linking Australian Curriculum content strand, descriptor and code for that unit. A 'Maths Talk' (glossary of terms) section is also provided.
Teacher's Resource Books
The Teacher's Resource Book has up to 35 units covering the Australian Curriculum content strands. Each Teacher's Resource Book contains unit and resource BLMs, Assessment Task Cards, Tests, and Assessment and Planning BLMs.
BLMs are available for Foundation, Year 1 & Year 4 in addition to those currently provided on the Teacher's Resource Book CD-ROM. Click on the links below to download.
6+ Extension Tasks Teacher's Resource
Recognising the importance of supporting advanced students, a new addition to this series is the Year 6+ Extension Tasks Teacher's Resource.
It features activities to extend students who are excelling in mathematics and who would benefit form more challenging learning tasks.
The author has designed these tasks so that they both broaden the students' understanding, reasoning and problem-solving skills within the Year 6 curriculum, as well as provide them with 'bridging' activities into the Year 7 curriculum.
Nelson Maths: Australian Curriculum provides a wealth of options for teachers to assess students' mathematical understandings (verbal and recorded), fluency, problem solving and reasoning abilities, confidence, and their ability to work with others.
Nelson Teaching Objects and Learning Objects
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is integrated throughout Nelson Maths: Australian Curriculum. Packaged with the Teacher's Resource Books, Nelson Teaching Objects (NTOs) are available for interactive whiteboards, individual computers, iPads and interactive LCD screens.
- illustrate mathematical concepts explicitly
- engage students actively in their own learning
- scaffold student learning
- require students to use their mathematical understandings in an engaging and meaningful context.
The Nelson Teaching Objects and Learning Objects are available for use on the data projector, interactive whiteboard and computer. The software compatibility is below:
- Windows XP, Windows 7 and above
- Mac OS X 10.7.0 and above
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 and below
The Nelson Maths Building Mental Strategies Big Books support children in their first, second and third years of school in the development of sound mental strategies that will work for them in a variety of contexts. The Big Books can be used in conjunction with the Nelson Maths: Australian Curriculum F-3 student books. (more...)
Teacher Notes for Nelson Maths Building Mental Strategies
F – 6 Sampler Book
The Nelson Maths: Australian Curriculum Sampler provides teachers with the opportunity to view pages from this exciting new series.
Two units from each year level from Foundation to Year 6 are included in this Sampler. One of the units for each year level is from the strand of Number and Algebra, to showcase the sequential development of this content throughout the year levels.
Contact your local Nelson representative to request a copy, or download the eBook version by clicking on the cover below.