1. What can Nelson’s Professional Development Program do to support school improvement?
There are numerous ways that Nelson’s Professional Development Program can support your school improvement agenda.
Our highly experienced consultants can work with your leadership team to
interpret school data and develop a professional learning agenda to match this
develop a professional learning program to meet the goals of a school strategic plan and annual implementation plan addressing school goals and priorities
match professional development to school-based projects such as Middle Years literacy, Boys and Literacy, engaging students in their learning
link theory and research to classroom practice through modelling and demonstration of best practice in a classroom setting
develop strategic actions with professional learning teams involving action research, coaching , modelling and reflection.
2. What areas of Professional Development are available?
Our consultants can tailor professional learning to match the needs of your school. Our aim is to build the capacity of all teachers and leaders to improve learning outcomes for all students. The focus for professional learning will be developed through discussion and strategic planning with school leaders to ensure that learning goals of the participants are met.
Some broad outlines of training and development possibilities:
Comprehension – Making Meaning from Text
Explicitly Teaching Writing
Boys and Literacy
Planning for Literacy Learning – Putting the Literacy Block Together
Engaging Reluctant Readers & Writers
Assessment to inform Literacy Teaching
Literacy Demands of Mathematics
Explicitly Teaching Mathematics.
3. How flexible are the sessions?
Sessions are customised to your school or cluster groups needs.
Sessions can be
- Single-school sessions
- Group sessions for local schools or networks
- Full-day sessions
- Half-day sessions
- Short sessions (two hours either during school hours or after school)
- Ongoing, throughout a year or term(s).
4. What are the costs associated with training and development?
Full Day Session $2100* $2200*
Half Day Session $1800* $1900*
After School Session $1200* $1300*
Session costs include
* All training materials and notes for each participant
* School resources
* All travel costs and accomodation for presenter
Prices are for a maximum of 60 participants. Additional participants: $30 per person 2011 $35 per person 2012. Other session lengths may be negotiated.
5. We are a small school. How could we access PD?
Nelson's Professional Development can be tailored to meet the needs of any sized group, from a large conference-style presentation to a small collegiate team learning situation.
Many small schools use their networks in order to access quality professional learning. This may take the form of cluster days, network PD or professional learning teams. You may wish to invite neighbouring government, Catholic or independent schools to share the learning and expertise.
6. What are the conditions for making a booking?
In order for Cengage Nelson's Training and Development Program to operate efficiently, meet the needs of the wide variety of participants and ensure equity, the following conditions apply when making a booking.
- Changes or cancellations to a booking must be made at least seven days before the date of the presentation.
- The number of participants in a single session will not exceed sixty unless previously discussed with the presenter.
- A Cengage Nelson resource display is an integral component of the presentation.